By: Caren Hatton
This salad is chock full of seasonal ingredients. The citrus from the mandarins and sweetness from the and dates pair perfectly with bitter radicchio. I suggest preparing the ingredients in advance and assembling the salad just before serving.
Pairing suggestion: Arietta Red Wine H Block Hudson 2018
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste
- 1 t. coarse kosher salt
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 T. balsamic vinegar
- 12 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15 oz. can of mandarin oranges
- 3 cups pitted whole Medjool dates (about 15)
- 4 large heads radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large heads red leaf lettuce or lettuce of your choice
- 3 cup parmesan cheese shavings (each about 1 in.)
- 1 ½ cup roasted almonds
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine garlic paste, kosher salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Cap jar and shake vigorously until dressing is emulsified.
- Thinly slice dates and add to the bowl along with radicchio, lettuce, 2 cup parmesan shavings, and ½ cup almonds. Pour dressing over salad; toss thoroughly to coat. Turn salad onto a large platter or into a bowl and top with remaining mandarin oranges, 1 cup parmesan, and 1 cup almonds.
This recipe was adapted from Sunset Magazine.